Easy Procedure & Items Required To Paint A Fiberglass Door To Look Like Wood
The fiberglass doors usually offer great safety from the hidden robbers but these doors are not having a pleasing appearance. These doors are available in many designs and style variations and nowadays these doors are also available in wooden grain texture styles. If in case the users are having the fiberglass doors in their living room areas then they can easily beautify it by gathering the below-mentioned materials and then following the below-described procedure:
Materials & Tools Required
- Screwdriver, Wedge, Drill & Dropcloths
- Paint Thinner, Clean Cloths, Paint & Gel Stain
- Paintbrushes, Wood Graining Tool
- Sealer And Hand Gloves
- Detach The Door: Start by detaching the knob within the door surface by using the screwdriver. Then the users need to place the wedge beneath the door edge so as to restrain it from falling the moment when the users will detach the door from its hinges. They need to use the electric drill or the screwdriver so as to detach the screws that are fastening the door with the hinges. The users are advised not to detach the screw that affixes the hinges with the frame as this will make it easy for the users to rehang the fiberglass door. Then they need to detach the door within its frame.
- Cover The Working Area: Then the users need to cover their working area over the floor surface by using the dropcloths. Then they need to set the 2 horses and then lay down the door over the sawhorses. The users need to be assured that each one of the door edges will rest completely over one sawhorse.
- Clean The Door: Then they need to wipe down the door surface so as to clean up the grease or the dirt stains by soaking the cloth in the paint thinner. The paint or the stain will not get adhered properly to the door surface if it is dirty or having the stains.
- Apply The Paint: Then the users need to apply the paint base coat over the entire surface of the door by using the four-inch soft-bristled foam brush. The users are advised to use the one-inch brush in order to apply the paint to the minute areas where the normal brush won't fit. Then they need to let the paint over the door to get dried off completely.
- Apply The Gel Stain: Once the paint is dried off perfectly then the users need to apply the layer of the gel stain over the entire panel of the door by using the four inch-foam brush. The users also need to lift the graining tool downwards the door panel by using the twisting motions so as to form the grain texture. The users are advised not to drift the graining tool in sideways and then they need to use the soft clean cloth so as to clean down the gel stain in between the pulls. The users need to use the one-inch brush so as to form the grain texture within the minute areas of the door.
- Apply Stain To The Large Areas: Once the users applied the stain to the panels of the door then they need to apply it over the other door areas and to do so they need to start from the door center and then to the other corners accordingly. If the door does not consist of any panels then they are advised to work in sections till they cover up the whole door surface and then they need to let the gel stain to get dried off completely for almost one day.
- Apply The 2nd Stain Layer: Once the first layer of the gel stain is dried completely then the users need to apply the 2nd gel stain layer to the entire surface of the door by using the foam brush again. The users are advised not to use the graining tool for this step and then let the door to dry off completely for one more day.
- Apply The Sealer Layer And Then Rehang The Door: Finally the users need to apply the layer of the sealer to the entire door surface and then let the sealer to get dried off completely. Once the sealer coat gets dried off then the users need to reaffix the doorknobs and then rehang the fiberglass door within its hinges respectively.