Steps To Restore Wicker Furniture
To restore the wicker furniture the users need to follow the below-mentioned steps:
- Gather All Tools And Material: The first step is to collect all the material and tools that are needed for the restoration of the wicker furniture like dishwashing soap, stiff bristle brush, wicker strips, piece of rag, epoxy glue, sponge, varnish, water, primer, tack nail, sheet of old cloth, needle-nose pliers, and paint.
- Examine The Furniture: Next step is to analyze the wicker furniture properly and determine the damage that needs to be restored. The damage can be like the frame of the furniture is broken, loose weaving or the furniture needs to get painted.
- Clean Wicker: After completely examining the wicker furniture the users need to clean the furniture with the help of stiff bristle brush and remove the dirt particles from the corners and crevices of the furniture by using the brush.
- Alternate Cleaning Option: The wicker furniture can also be cleaned by using a solution, the solution is prepared by combining the dishwashing soap and warm water. Then the solution is applied on to the furniture with the help of a sponge and then the furniture is wiped with clean water and a rag. Remove the excess water from the furniture and let it dry.
- Glue Loose Strands: Now check the strands around the different regions and if the strands are loose then use epoxy glue to fix the strands.
- Replace Strands: If the strands are torn or cut then replace the damaged strands with the new ones. Put the wicker strips in water for an hour and then remove the damaged strands from the furniture. Determine the length of the strand and cut the soaked strand according to the dimensions with the help of a utility knife.
- Weave The Strand: Then start to weave the strand following the same pattern of the furniture and with the help of needle-nose pliers weave the strands tightly.
- Paint And Varnish: Last step is to paint the furniture. For this, the users need to place a sheet of cloth on the floor and put the furniture on it. Sprinkle the primer on the furniture and leave the furniture to dry for about 24 hours. Then apply paint on to the furniture surface and finish the furniture with 2 coats of varnish. Applying varnish will retain the original look of the furniture.