Natural stones can easily stain and the breadth of the problem depends on how porous your natural stone is and how long or how intermittently the staining occurs. Slate tile has become a prevailing stone to use inside your house due to its texture variations and many natural colors. The very elements of the stone that make your slate tiles attractive, nevertheless, also cause your slate tile to be affected by the minerals carried in the tap water. In order to prevent any water white stains on your slate tile, most of the slate tile installers will coat the material with the help of a strong water-resistant sealer after your slate tile is installed properly. The wrong sealer can actually react to the water and will easily create white, patchy, or ring-like stains on the surface of your slate tile.
Steps And Items Needed To Remove White Residue On Your Slate Tiles
Cleaning and resealing your slate tiles are unremarkably considerably successful at mitigating the white stains. If you want to remove the white residue from your slate tiles by your self then you just need to collect certain items and follow the given steps. Here is the list of required items and steps for this process:
Things You Will Need
- Washing Soda
- Nylon Bristle Brush
- Distilled Water
- Steel Wool
- Vacuum Cleaner
- Baking Soda
- Lemon Juice
- Stone Sealer
- Disposable Paintbrush
Steps For This Process
- First of all, you need to add the washing soda to the small bowl of water. Washing soda is actually sodium carbonate and this is a strong alkaline compound that is used regularly to remove stains from laundry and from the other materials.
- Now you need to mix the soda and water together and then you have to dip your nylon bristle brush in your homemade mixture and then scrub the white water stain. Next you need to rinse well by using the distilled water and then dry it immediately. If this process doesn't work then you have continued with a more aggressive scrubbing tool.
- You now need to rub your steel wool over the white water stain by using the round or circular motions. Steel wool is easily available from fine to rough but you need to start with the rougher version of your steel wool and then finish your work by using the fine steel wool. Now you need to vacuum your slate tiles in order to remove all of the broken pieces of steel. Any steel left when you seal your slate tiles will leave rust behind. If your steel wool still leaves some staining then you need to continue with a chemical paste.
- Simply mix 1/4 cup of baking soda and 1 teaspoon of lemon juice and 1/4 to 1/2 cup of water in order to make a thick paste. Now you need to scrub your thick paste into your slate tile by using your nylon bristle brush. The next thing is to rinse your tile with distilled water and then you have to dry it immediately. Allow your slate tiles to dry out for at least 48 hours.
- Now you need to coat your slate tiles by using a pH-neutral and with water-resistant slate sealer. You need to apply three coats of your sealer, allowing each coat to dry near about 24 hours. The slate tiles will normally look wet after the sealer is applied.
Tip For This Process
After your slate tiles become wet then you need to rinse them immediately by using the distilled water. You need to know that the tap water has minerals that will easily leave stains on your slate tiles. After you rinse your slate tiles with distilled water then dry your tiles immediately. This will often avert future white water stains.