The MDF is the short form of the medium fiberboard and is widely used for building items like shelves and speaker boxes. The boards are much easy to work in comparison with the other ones like plywood, etc. The fiberboard is available in various sizes. It is possible to finish MDF using polyurethane in order to protect it from getting damage to water. In addition, these boards offer good durability as they are heavier than board types.
Easy Steps To Seal MDF With Polyurethane Finish
The steps to seal MDF with Polyurethane finish are mentioned as below.
- Sanding: The Sand the entire MDF surface using the 150-grit sandpaper. Ensure to sand the surface in a circular motion and remove all the sanding residue after completing the sanding.
- White Primer: Coat the white primer to the MDF and make sure to cover the entire piece and wait for the primer to dry for thirty minutes. Check if the primer is completely dried with hand.
- Re-sanding: Re -sanding is recommended for the entire primed surface using the 220-grit sandpaper. Repeat the sanding process again in the circular motions and eliminate the sanding residue once done.
- Second Coat: Apply the second coat of the white primer and wait again for thirty minutes and repeat the sanding process again. Remove all the sanding leftover to make the surface clean.
- Polyurethane: Application of the Polyurethane finish needs to be done on the whole surface to make it even and smooth. Let the first coat to dry properly before applying the second coat of the finish.