Step By Step Procedure & Items Required To Repair Chip In Fiberglass Tub
The tubs that are made up of the fiberglass are very durable and are less expensive than the traditional tubs. The accidents can eventually happen at any time and if in case the users are having the small chip on the tub surface then they can easily fix that easily by using the epoxy repairing kit. If in case the users want to get a good color match then they need to buy the tinted epoxy material or they can apply the waterproofed paint. The users can easily repair the chip in the fiberglass tub at home by gathering the below-mentioned materials and then following the below-defined step by step procedure:
- Rubbing Alcohol, Cloth & Plastic Packing Tape
- Rubber Gloves, Epoxy-Based Fiberglass Repair Kit
- Spatula & Acrylic Paint Pigment
- Small Brush & Sandpaper
- Epoxy Paint
- Clean The Chipped Area: Start by cleaning the chipped spot on the tub surface by using the rubbing alcohol and the cloth as well. The users need to use the plastic tape so as to cover up the surrounding area of the chipped area.
- Mix The Epoxy Material: Then unbind the windows so as to ventilate the bathroom area or the users can also switch on the exhausted fan if in case they are having the one. The users then need to wear the gloves made up of the rubber and then need to mix up the epoxy material and the hardener by using the spatula as per the instruction of the manufacturer but they are advised not to add down the thickener to the mixture. They also need to save the small unmixed epoxy material amount and the hardener as well so as to use that in the future.
- Apply The Epoxy Material: Then they need to apply the epoxy material to the chipped spot by using the small-sized brush as this will help the epoxy material to get adhered to the surface of the fiberglass.
- Add The Thickener Material: Then the users need to add the thickener material to the epoxy mixture and then keep on stir it till it has the creamy texture. In order to add the color tone to the epoxy mixture, the users can add the acrylic paint drop and then mix it perfectly till the users will get their desired color. Then apply the mixture of the epoxy material directly to the chipped spot by using the spatula and then smoothen it. Then let the epoxy material to get dried off completely for near about 5 hours or for one complete night.
- Sand Down The Epoxy Material: The users are then advised to wear the mask and then sand down the epoxy material to attain the smooth finish by using the fine-grit sandpaper and they are also advised to avoid sanding the surrounding portion of the chipped area as possible as they can. Then wipe down the unneeded dust by using the damp cloth.
- Mix Up The Hardener And Epoxy Material: Then they need to mix up the epoxy material and the hardener without adding the thickener and then apply this mixture to the occupied spot on the tub so as to seal it accordingly. Then allow this new mixture to get dried off completely for near about 5 years or for one complete night accordingly.
- Paint The Repaired Portion: Then they need to damp sand the occupied portion by using the fine-grit sandpaper till they won't achieve the smooth finish and then wipe down the dust by using the damp cloth. If in case the users want to paint down the repaired area they need to mix up the epoxy paint as per the instructions of the manufacturer and then apply this over the filled area by using the small-sized paintbrush. Then let the paint to get dried off completely before even using the fiberglass tub respectively.