Step By Step Process To Fix Peeling From Thermofoil Cabinets
Exactly the same as laminate cabinets, thermofoil cabinets are manufactured using a flexible vinyl layer coated to a medium-density fiberboard(MDF) core. Both the laminate as well as the thermofoil cabinets can successfully imitate the appearance of wooden cabinets, however, the cost of the thermofoil cabinets is significantly less. The very fine layer of PVC material that is used in the manufacturing of thermofoil cabinets is particularly vulnerable to peeling. If in case peeling issue arises in your thermofoil cabinets, then you need to fix it as soon as possible. To do that, you need to first collect the required items for the process & then go through the step by step process carefully:
Things You Will Need
- Contact Cement
- Disposable Brush
- Woodworker's Clamps
- Scrap wood, Like Short Pieces Of 1 x 4
- Scrap Soft Materials Like Rags, Carpeting, Etc.
Step By Step Process
- First of all, twist the thermofoil layer back. You need to take the assistance from someone in order to hold the peeling thermofoil at a distance from the MDF. Make sure not to twist too far or at an angle less than 90 degrees, due to the reason that old thermofoil can break away or crack.
- The next step is to wear away the dried cement from the MDF core.
- Now, apply the contact cement & make sure that your helper takes hold of the thermofoil independent from the MDF, coat both the thermofoil back as well as the MDF core top with the help of contact cement, using a disposable brush. Be careful to spread contact cement near the edges of the repair portion. It is extremely important that both the surfaces should be coated with contact cement.
- Do not directly move the back of the thermofoil onto the MDF core. The cement directions will particularize the time duration that you must wait until pressing the two materials together. Usually, the drying time period of nearly 15 minutes. The surfaces should be completely dry to the touch, otherwise, they will not adhere together.
- After the above steps are done, it is time to press together and secure. Make sure to press the two materials together before holding firmly in place for nearly one hour. In order to protect the thermofoil face, use the soft materials & sandwich the work betwixt two flat pieces of scrap board, that is held in place, with the help of woodworker's clamps.
- Finally, clean up the thermofoil cabinet in order to get rid of excess contact cement from the edges of the repair portion by smoothly rubbing it using your fingers to "pill" it up, then rejecting those rubbery bits of contact cement.