Advantages & Disadvantages Of Unfinished Furniture
Unfinished furniture is a type of furniture that can be purchased without a finish applied to it. It can be a great choice for all those customers who want to express their individuality and creativity with home furnishings. There are several reasons to choose unfinished furniture for the home, ranging from cost to design possibilities to refinish furniture.
Some of the advantages of unfinished furniture are as follows;
- Cost:Unfinished Furniture is generally sold cheaper than finished furniture pieces.
- Customization:The customer can determine how their furniture will look like before paint, shellac, distress, stain, varnish, oil, wax, or lacquer. They can customize it to work with the existing decor.
- Quality:The unfinished furniture is made of real wood, unlike other cheaper options made from laminate.
- No Hidden Damages:Unfinished furniture allows the customer to thoroughly assess for quality materials, unlike the finished furniture in which all the damages, imperfections and shoddy construction are hidden under the finish.
Some of the disadvantages of the unfinished furniture are mentioned below;
- Time-consuming:The process of sanding, staining, and finishing the unfinished furniture is a time-consuming process that will take at least a couple of days. Even if the customer is just painting a piece that will still involve a couple of rounds of sanding process and sealing before applying the actual final paint.
- Good Ventilation: Finishing or painting the unfinished furniture is a smelly job which requires good ventilation and a few pairs of gloves as well.