Pros And Cons Of Prefinished Hardwood Flooring
The advantages of prefinished hardwood floors are given as follows:
- Durability: These floors are highly durable because these floors have a powerful finish of chemical sealers.
- Easy Installation: The prefinished hardwood floors does not require any sanding process and hence can be installed easily.
- Ease Of Maintenance: The floor surface is covered with a strong sealer so maintaining these floors is easy. The moisture or any stain mark does not affect too much on the prefinished hardwood floors.
- Refinishing Is Possible: It is possible to refinish these type of hardwood floors. After refinishing, the floor gives a beautiful and natural hardwood look.
The disadvantages of prefinished hardwood floors are mentioned below:
- Seams Aren't Sealed: When planks are installed on the floor sealing agent is not applied between them. This results in the growth of mold and rots under the planks that can damage the floor.
- Subfloor Flaws May Be Evident: Sanding is not performed during the installation of these floors so any imperfection below the surface will get easily reflected. It is necessary to make the flat and smooth surface.
- Refinishing Requires Heavy Sanding: After a long time when the color of prefinished floor fades and scratches appear on it then floor needs to get refinished. These floors require a lot of sanding in order to remove the existing finish to reach the natural hardwood.
- Repairs Are Complicated: If any section of the floor gets damaged then it is very difficult to repair that section due to the coating of the thick sealer. The solution is to sand the whole surface of the floor and remove the finish or replace the damaged section of the floor.