Easy Way To Paint Laminate Furniture With Chalk Paint
Chalk Paint is a type of paint that gives the surface a matte appearance. The paint was originated by the brand name Annie Sloan and at present, it is available in several other brand names as well. Mostly, soft wax is used to seal chalk paint that also creates a silky finish over it. On the other hand, laminate is an engineered wood that is printed to create an appearance similar to real wood. The user can paint laminate furniture quick & easy with spray chalk paint by following the below-given steps;
- Clean The Furniture: Before beginning the painting process, it is necessary to wipe down the entire furniture with a damp cloth in order to remove stuck-on dirt or gunk. If required, the user can clean the furniture with a commercial cleaning product best suited to laminate surfaces. The laminate furniture should be allowed to dry completely before proceeding forward.
- Sand The Furniture: Once the furniture is dry & clean, the user needs to sand it down with 220 grit sandpaper. It has been recommended to focus more on the uneven areas of the furniture. After that, the sanding dust should be wiped clean by using a damp rag. It is necessary to smooth all uneven spots by sanding as the remaining spots will show through the chalk paint.
- Apply Primer: The next step will be to apply a primer over the entire laminate furniture once the surface is smooth, clean, and dry. It has been recommended to use a spray primer e.g., Zinsser Bulls Eye primer and spray it evenly over the entire furniture. It is necessary to select a primer that is suited to laminate as well as chalk paint working. Besides that, the user needs to hold the spray primer at least a foot away from the furniture while working in quick & even motions. The primer coat should be allowed to dry as per label instructions.
- Chalk Paint: Once the primer dries, the user needs to apply two coats of chalk paint over the entire furniture. It has been recommended to use spray chalk paint e.g., Rust-Oleum chalk paint in user preferred color. The paint should be applied by holding the nozzle at least a foot away from the furniture and then move the nozzle in quick & even strokes. Besides that, the first coat of chalk paint should be allowed to dry as per label instruction before spraying the second coat.
- Apply Polycrylic: The last step will be to seal the laminate furniture once it dries completely. It has been recommended to use water-based Polycrylic finish e.g., Minwax Polycrylic and spray it over the entire furniture. The furniture can be put to use once the protective finish dries completely.