Step By Step Guide To Paint A Formica Countertops To Look Like Real Granite
Usually, over a long period of time, the Formica countertop tends to appear dull and it is usually because of the slicing and the dropping that usually occurs within the workspace. It is quite difficult to completely detach or to entirely replace the dull surfaced countertop. The users can easily paint a Formica countertop to look like a real granite at home by following the below-defined steps:
- Prepare The Surface: Start by clearing the mess within the surface of the countertop and its nearby areas as well. By preparing the surface of the Formica counter for the paint can also create the dust to get landed over the clean surfaces or will also create the issues to the appliances on the small-sized countertops. Before the sanding process, the users are advised to clean off the countertop surface by using the mixture of the warm water and the mild soap. For the hard stains, the user needs to make a mixture of warm water and vinegar. Then apply the mixture to the entire surface of the countertop and then wipe it down with the dry cloth. Then allow the countertop to get dried off completely. The users are advised to pay the close focus on to the countertop edges and to that they need to use the toothbrush to clean off the debris from there or they can also use the small vacuum.
- Protect The Nearby Appliances: If it is possible for the users they need to wrap the big appliances and the other items that the users cannot move up so easily. The user needs to use the tape so as to block the stationary pieces and the sink.
- Sanding The Countertop Surface: Once the surface of the countertop is cleaned completely then they need to use the fine-grit sandpaper so as to rub it all over the surface of the countertop so as to smooth its surface. The users are advised to sand down the corners and the edges of the countertop. Once the users perfectly sanded down the countertop surface then they need to wipe down the dust accordingly.
- Prepare The Surface For Painting: Once the sanding process is completed the users need to fill up the holes or the flaws by using the epoxy putty. They need to use the putty knife to spread it over the surface and then wipe down the unneeded filler material. Then let the filler material to get dried off completely and then sand it down respectively to match it with the other countertop surface.
- Painting The Countertop: The users need to roll down the primer layer to the entire surface of the countertop and then allow it to get dried off completely for almost eight hours. Then the users need to mix up the three-color together and then apply it over the dried countertop surface. Then allow the paint layer to get dried off completely before using the countertops. The users also need to detach the tape from the appliances accordingly.