Properties of Mahogany wood For Furniture
Mahogany wood is known as one of the most valuable hardwoods in the world. Mahogany wood furniture is very beautiful. The style is decent and generous. The mahogany wood is valued because it is durable and can be easily carved with intricate details. It mainly grows on the east coast of the Central American continent, tropical areas of South America, West Africa, as well as in the West Indies. Its main cultivation takes place in the tropical forests of Brazil. Some of the features of the mahogany wood that makes it the best choice for the furniture are as follows:
- Most Stable Hardwood: It is regarded as the most stable hardwood, it overall shows very low shrinkage on drying.
- Extremely Durable And Resistant: If properly cared the Mahogany furniture can be used for a long period of time. It is resistant to rot, mold, and other organisms of decay, that are present in the atmosphere and with the soil.
- Beautiful Appearance: The mahogany wood has beautiful, rich and varied patterns that looks very attractive and beautiful.
- Solid: It is the solid hardwood, and is resilient to many elements and can be made in a variety of shapes.
- Weatherproof: The Mahogany is regarded suitable for making the outdoor furniture due to its weatherproof qualities.
How To Identify The Mahogany Wood?
The steps to identify the mahogany wood are as follows:
- Fingernails: The first step is to press the wood with the fingernails, if the fingernail leaves mark then it is softwood means its not mahogany wood.
- Corners: Check the corners of the wood if the corners has the thin layer then its a veneer.
- Pattern And Grain: If the grains on the wood fine and long or even slightly wave it is mahogany, also if there are many fine dark lines to grain it is also the indication of mahogany wood.
- Observe The Color: It is known for its darker reddish-brown when varnished or stained.