Steps & Items Needed To Install Prehung Exterior Door On Concrete
Pre-hung doors make new-development work easy & fast. Here are the item list and steps for this pre-hung door installation process:
- Prehung Exterior Door Unit
- 3/16-Inch Rotary Mason's Bit
- 2 1/2-Inch By 1/4-Inch Concrete Screws
- Door Casing
- Door Knob
Steps For This Process
- Stand your prehung door in the center of your door opening and then line up the inside of your door threshold with inside wall & then center it in the frame by using a tape measure. Wedge shims betwixt the jamb header & the frame header above to hold your door upright.
- Now, drill through with each hole in the threshold with a 3/16-inch rotary mason's bit to a depth of 2 1/2 inches. Now you need a piece of tape around the bit 2 1/2 inches from the tip of your bit to make the depth for simple visual reference. Clean the dust around the holes and then drive one 2 1/2-inch concrete screw into each hole you've made before. Drive all the screws tight until the threshold is pulled tight to your floor.
- Next, simply tap all the shims behind the top cover of your jamb side hinge and then simply place a level against the edge of your jamb & tap the top of your jamb in or out to adjust the bubble in the level to the center of your indicator. Nail through with the jamb & shims into the frame behind.
- Repeat the shimming & leveling process with the knob side jamb. Add this shim behind the bottom of your side jambs. Nail through with the jambs & shims into the frame behind. Drive your one of the nail up through with the header & shims into the frame above.
- Nail the mold of your brick to the framing studs behind on the sides & the frame header at the top.
- Now, you need to cut the door casing for the inside of your door and then cut 1 right-side piece & one left side piece and then cut the top ends at 45°(degrees). Cut the miter because the short side is even with a point (1/4 inch) above the bottom edge of your jamb header. Nail all the side pieces to the edges of your jambs, 1/4 inch from the inside edge.
- Next, you need to measure betwixt the top corners & cut a piece to with 45°(degree) miters at each end, 1 right & 1 left. Place this piece above your door snugly betwixt the 2 side pieces. Nail it to the edge of your jamb header.
- Slide your knob striker into the hole in the edge of your door & attach it with the 2 screws through with the holes in your striker bolt plate. Slip all the 2 sides of your knob through with the holes in the striker. Thread all the 2 screws through with the holes & tighten them with the help of a screwdriver.
- This is your final step, place your striker plate in position on your jamb. Attach it with the 2 provided screws.