The nail down engineered flooring is applied over the plywood. Proper cleaning of the subfloor is mandatory prior to installation of the nail down engineered wood flooring to make it long lasting. Installation of the nail down engineered wood flooring requires the removal of the old floor covering, moldings, etc. Also, note that before installation proper planning is necessary to check the exact color matching of the boards.
How To Install The Nail Down Engineered Flooring?
- Read Instructions: Prior to installation, it is important to read all the instructions to do it properly.
- Joists: All joist locations are required to be marked from starting to finishing ends. It is mandatory for nails insertion.
- Asphalt Paper: Take 15 lb asphalt paper and staple the subfloor with it. Keep 2?-4? for seams.
- Flooring Direction: Start flooring with the direction of the 90 degrees from the joists and keep the gap of 3/4? from flooring and walls.
- Analyze: Analyze properly and start with the straight wall. Take precise measurements of all walls including width and length. Mark using a chalk line.
- Nailing: Take the first board and install it in chalk line direction. Ensure to keep the tongue side facing you.
- Drill Holes: Use drilling machine to drill holes with 6? intervals.
- Secure Subfloor: The subfloor needs to be secured using 1? long finishing nails and once all the nailing tasks are done apply the matching color wood filler to fill the spaces.
- Blind Nail: The pilot holes are required to be drilled.
- Installation: The remaining boards are required to be installed in the way that ends adheres well together.
- Vacuum: Once the installation is completely done vacuum the floor.
- Floor Cleaner: After vacuuming apply floor cleaner using a soft cloth and rub the entire surface with the same to remove all the dirt and dust. Follow up by wiping.
- Molding Reinstallation: The round molding needs to be re-installed into the wall. Avoid installing molding into the wall.
- Transition Pieces: Transition pieces like T- molding or stair nosing if required needs to be installed.