Step By Step Guide & Items Required To Sew Blackout Curtains
The Blackout curtains are very costly and that is why crafting them personally is the easy way by which the users can easily save the money. The blackout curtains are mainly used to cool down the room in the hot sunny days and are also used to block up the room light so that the users can get the better sleep or is also used to make the room dark in order to attain the better sleep naps in the day. The users can easily sew the blackout curtains at home by gathering the below-mentioned materials and then following the below-defined steps:
- Measuring Tape, Iron, Scissors, Thread
- Curtain Fabric, Ironing Board, Pins, Curtain Tape
- Blackout Fabric, Fabric Marker, Sewing Machine
- Curtain Hooks
- Measure The Width: Start by measuring the curtain rod width and if the users want their curtains to get assembled when they are closed then they are advised to multiply the calculated width by the 1.5 to 2 and it will also depend upon how full they want their curtains to be. Then they need to divide the total calculations by two so as to attain the complete width of each panel of the curtain.
- Find The Cut Width: Next find out the trimmed width for each panel of the curtain. Add four inches to each panel width that allows for one inch, then they need to double fold the hem on each corner of the sides. If in case the users are having the windows and they need to join the different fabric panels with each other so as to fit it with the calculated width, then they need to add the 1-inch for each seam.
- Add The 6 Inches: Then minimize the six inches from the trimmed width for each panel of the curtain so as to attain the total trimmed width for each panel of the lining.
- Calculate The Length: Now calculate the total curtain pole length or rod down to that point where the users want their panels of the curtain to fall down if it is to the surface of the floor or to the windowsill. By this, the user will get the complete curtain length.
- Find The Cut Length: Then find out the trimmed length for each panel of the curtain. Add eight inches to the complete length so as to allow for the four-inch, double-folded base hem. Then add the adjustment for the heading as per the rod type that the users are using. For the pocket rod on the top panel corner then add the rod diameter and the one by two inches for the ease, one by two inches for the turn beneath. If in case the users are adding the tape and the hooks then they need to add two times the tape width and add one by half inches as well.
- Add The Allowance: Now minimize the allowance of the heading for the trimmed length of the panels of the curtains. Then minimize the one by half inches from the achieved result. By this, the users will get the trimmed length for each panel lining.
- Mark Down The Area: Markdown the area and trim out the 2 panels of the fabric of curtains and the 2 panels of the lining fabric as per the size dimensions that the users determined.
- Pin And Sew: Then pin and sew the two-inch, doubled fold hem on the base corners of the panel of curtain and the 2 panels of the curtain and the 2 panels of the lining fabric as well.
- Place The Panel: After that, position the panel of the lining fabric on the topmost area of the panel of the curtain with one another so that the base hem of the panel of the lining fabric is one by two inches raised the base hem of the panels of curtains. Then pin down the one side corner of the panel of the lining fabric with the mixed side corner of the panels of curtains and then sew them with one another with the one by a two-inch sized seam. Then pin down the other side corner of the panel of the lining fabric with another side corner of the panel of the curtain and then sew the one by a two-inch sized seam. The users need to repeat the same procedure for the other panel of the curtain.
- Rotate The Panel: Swivel the panels towards its right sides outwards and then press down the folds of the sides so that the panel of the lining fabric is concentrated, with the 3 inches of the fabric of curtain pushed over the right and the 3 inches with the left-sided of the panel of the lining fabric.
- Fold Up The Top Edge: Fold up and press the top corner of each panel of the curtain by the one by two-inch. If the users are using the curtain tape and sew it with the rightmost side of the topmost corner of the panel of the curtain. One by two inches from the pushed fold. Then they need to fold up the heading one more time and one by two inches beneath the tape edge and sew on the base folded corner. For the rod pocket fold up the heading as per the size dimensions that they have found out and then sew on the base folded corner. Both the heading types will hide the topmost raw corner of the panel of the lining fabric.
- Affix The Curtains: Finally affix the curtains with the pole of the curtain or the rail by simply drifting the pocket rod or by adding the hooks with the tape and affix the hooks with it.