Best Way For Reupholstering A Footstool
The footstool is a kind of feet resting item that is usually placed under the feet of that person who is sitting on a chair or some other item, in order to make him feel comfortable. Reupholstering a footstool is a very simple task that the users can perform themselves. The best way(step by step) for reupholstering is mentioned below:
- Remove: If possible remove the footstool’s legs, with the help of the appropriate screwdriver. Keep the legs as well as screws aside in a safe place.
- Old Upholstery: In order to remove the old upholstery, simply lay down the top of the footstool with the right-side down and then carefully remove the old upholstery by prying up all the staples that are used to secure it, for prying the staples use the needle-nose pliers. At the same time discard all the old upholstery as well as staples.
- Assess The Condition: In this step the user needs to check out the condition of the footstool's batting and if in case the batting is worn out, then remove and discard it. Otherwise, it can be reused.
- New Decorator Fabric: Lay down the new fabric flat on any surface but with the right side facing down, then simply place the footstool over top of it. Use the footstool as a pattern to mark out the cutting lines on the fabric with the help of chalk. On each side, the user should allow enough fabric to accommodate all the depth of the footstool, besides that add a margin of 3 inches on all of the sides. Cut out the fabric using the sharp sewing scissors.
- Batting: In case the batting is worn out then for the new one use the newly cut fabric piece as a pattern for cutting of batting. After that center the top of the footstool on the batting piece if the user is replacing the batting. After that secure down the batting to the bottom of the footstool using a staple gun but about 1 inch from the sides. Try to pull the batting tight. Prior to stapling the corner areas fold the batting neatly on both sides. For the excess batting trim away.
- Stapling: Place the new piece of fabric flat but with right-side down. Then lay down the footstool, with the top downside, on top of the fabric. Now begin the stapling process of the fabric starting from the corners. To make neat corners fold both sides evenly and then turn the fabric underneath about 1 to 2 inches, this will make sure that no raw edges are exposed. After the stapling around the 4 corners are done, complete the stapling on all the sides, pull the fabric as tight as you can.
- Reattach The Legs And Trims: Atlast reattach the legs of the footstool and the coordinating trim around all the bottom of the perimeter of the footstool. The user can use a hot glue gun to glue down the trim to the fabric.