Melamine is a type of laminate that is typically used on cabinets, having a good number of properties like its hardness as well as it is resistant to scratches. However, it is highly possible that with the passage of time & using it repeatedly, accidents or misuse, cracks, or chips can take place. If in case you notice such types of issues, you need to rectify it as soon as possible. You can use a laminate filler such as SeamFil in order to make the crack or chip less noticeable but make sure SeamFil color should exactly match with the color of the cabinet. After completing the repairing process, still, if you are not content with the appearance or match of the repair, then, in that case, painting the cabinets is the best option to take into consideration.
Can You Repair Melamine?
If in case the plastic melamine coating has become loose in a few areas, then in that situation you can reattach it with the help of an instant adhesive, like Super Glue or Krazy Glue. You can apply instant glue in order to reattach peeling melamine coating on the cabinet. If in case extensive areas of the plastic coating are loose, then painting the cabinet is the best option.
5 Easy Steps & Items Needed For Repairing The Edge Of A Melamine Cupboard Door
In order to repair the edge of a melamine cupboard door, you need to gather the required items first & then go through the simple steps carefully. To perform this process is an easy task if you use the right tools & follow the right technique:
- SeamFil Solvent
- SeamFil In A Color Matching Your Cabinets
- Scrap Wood
- Putty Knife
After collecting the above-mentioned items, now it is time to go through all the simple steps carefully & achieve the desired result of your hard work:
- The first and foremost step is to get the chip or crack cleaned with the help of a solvent in order to get rid of any residue.
- The next step is to compress out an amount of SeamFil that is absolutely suitable for your chip or crack size. After that, blend with the help of a putty knife unless & until the filler has thickened.
- Now, it is time to apply pressure on the mixture into the crack or chip as long as it is level with the cabinet surface.
- After the above steps are done, start eliminating any excess filler with the help of a cloth dampened with solvent.
- Finally, if in case you find out that the filler is shrinking during the process of drying it, then repeat the same process.