Step By Step Process Of Repairing Cracks In Composite Decks
Composite decking is regarded as one of the exceptional decks that put modern technology to work right in your backyard. Wood by-products are usually combined with plastic as well as resins under high pressure in order to originate this rot-resistant, long-lasting material. The best thing about composite decks is that they can be stained or painted, and individual boards are straight as well as uniform. However, it can crack if in case the deck suffers stress, or has a poor design. Simple wear and tear or faulty pieces can also be the reason for cracks occurring in composite decks. As soon as you notice cracks in composite decks, you need to repair them as quickly as possible. Go through the below-mentioned steps carefully in order to repair the cracks in composite decks:
- Find Out The Cracks: First of all, examine underneath the cracked board in order to detect the presence of cracks. If you find out that the composite boards are having cracks only at the top, then at that time use a drill/driver in order to loosen the cracked board, turn it over, and then secure it back into place in an inverted position.
- Puff Air Into The Crack: If in case it is not possible to reverse the board, then puff air into the crack. Puff any debris, twigs, chips, or dust from inside the crack with the help of an air compressor having an air nozzle attached to it. If in case the debris is stuck, then with the help of a putty knife, clean it out and then continue the process using the air compressor and nozzle.
- Mineral Spirits: Clean out the crack with the help of a cloth dampened with mineral spirits. Give the mineral spirits some time in order to dry completely. Put in the strips of masking tape on both sides of the crack, as close as you possibly can without covering the crack.
- Composite Filler: Trim the end from a tube of composite filler with the help of a utility knife, at a marginal angle in order to open a 1/4-inch hole at the end of the tube.
- Dry The Filler: Position the head of the tube at one end of the crack. Press the tube firmly in order to inject the crack with the filler as you move the tube across the crack. With the help of a putty knife, insert the putty deeper into the crack. If you find out that the crack has a small depression after using the putty knife, add more filler and continue forcing the crack full as long as it's flush with filler. Allow the filler to dry for the whole night or as per the manufacturer's recommendations.
- Remove The Tape: Finally, remove the tape before sanding the crack and filler with the help of a hand-block & 100-grit sandpaper. Strokes should be side by side to the board in order to sand the filler flush with the crack surface. If in case the filler has shrunk and brought a marginal depression into existence, then fill the depression with more composite filler and allow it to dry. Then sand it smooth with the help of 100-grit sandpaper. Put or spread the matching stain to the sanded area.