Step By Step Process & Items Required To Remove Vinyl Floor Tile Squares
Scraping and peeling of the pre-existing vinyl floor tiles in the bathroom or in the kitchen floor is an effortful process but surely is not complicated at all and the users can easily complete this process even if they are not having any experience. Before the users start this process they need to make sure that the pre-existing tiles do not contain the asbestos. If in case the tiles were installed before the year 1970s or the users are not completely sure when exactly the tiles were installed then they need to hire the asbestos inspector so that he can test the tiles. The Asbestos is a very harmful carcinogen and if in case the vinyl floor tiles contain it then they need to hire the professionals so that they can detach that carefully. The users can easily remove vinyl floor tile squares at home by gathering the below-mentioned materials and then following the below-defined step by step process:
- Hairdryer, Utility Knife & Putty Knife
- Trash Bag, Long-Handled Garden Edger
- Towels, Vinegar & Adhesive Stripper
- Chemical-Resistant Gloves
Step By Step Process
- Heat Up One Tile: Start by heating one tile using the hairdryer till the vinyl gets softened. The users need to trim the diagonal line all across it by using the utility knife and then use the putty knife so as to extract the pieces. The users need to remove the adhesive as much as they can by using the putty knife when the sticky material is soft & when the heat is applied.
- Use The Trash Bag: Then the users need to remove the pieces of the tile within the trash bag. They need to detach the sticky material from the putty knife and discard it within the trash bag accordingly.
- Use The Hair Dryer: The users then need to soften up the next tile by using the hairdryer and then use the putty knife to open it. Then they will get the free corner by which they can work easily and maybe they won't require the use of the utility knife but if in case they find that the trimming up the tiles in two equal halves is very useful then they can follow that procedure easily. They need to remove the adhesive material and then remove the tiles respectively.
- Scrape The Left Over Adhesive: The users need to keep on continuing the procedure till they won't detach all the pre-existing tiles. They need to scrape off the leftover adhesive material by using the garden edger or any scraping tool and then detach the adhesive easily. Once they detached it they need to carefully discard it within the trash bag.
- Use The Water And Vinegar Mixture: The users are then advised to soak the towels into the warm water mixed up with the vinegar. Then they need to apply the soaked towels over the leftover adhesive material and then allow the solution to soften up the adhesive for near about one hour. Then resoak the old towels the moment they get dried out.
- Reapply The Heat: They need to detach the much possible adhesive material by using the tool. Then re-apply the heat with the dryer if in case the hard adhesive material does not get lifted up and then the heat will soften that accordingly.
- Use The Stripper: The user then require to wear the gloves that are having the resistance towards the chemical and then apply the stripper over the leftover hard adhesive material. The users are advised to use the product that will easily fit the adhesive material and then apply the stripper over the adhesive material. Then allow the stripper to sit over the adhesive material for near about half-hour and then start scraping it off by using the putty knife. Then rinse down the entire surface.