Tips To Remove Veneer From Wood
Below are some of the tips mentioned to remove the veneer from wood:
- Remove Loose Pieces Of Veneer: The first step is to wear gloves and then remove the loose particles of veneer from the wood surface.
- Use A Putty Knife To Remove The Veneer: Next tip is to take the putty knife or scraper and hold it horizontal position to remove the veneer.
- Use Hammer To Remove leftover Veneer: If the customer is unable to remove the entire veneer from the wood surface with the help of a putty knife then the customer can use the hammer and apply force on the putty knife in order to remove the veneer from the wood surface.
- Use An Old Blow-dryer: Another tip is to take a blow dryer and turn it on. Then set it on high temperature and apply heat on the glue. The heat from blow dryer softens the glue and the veneer can be easily removed from the wood.
- Wet An Old Towel: Veneer can also be removed from the wood with the help of a wet towel. Wet the towel with hot water and place the towel on the veneered surface for some hours. The glue softens due to the moisture and then use a putty knife to remove the veneer.
- Use An Old Iron: Iron can also be used to remove the difficult veneer stains. Set the iron on high setting and place the wet cloth on the veneered area then hold the iron for 30 seconds on the affected area. This causes the glue to loosen and the veneer can be removed from the wood surface.
- Scrape Off The Glue: When all the veneer is removed from the wood surface then use a scraper to remove the leftover residue from the wood surface. Clean and dry the wood surface completely and then apply paint on the wood surface.
Steps To Remove Scratches From Wood Veneer
The material required to remove the scratches from wood veneer includes clean rags, furniture cleaner, furniture wax, denatured alcohol, wax scratch filler, putty knife, small paintbrush, scratch repair solution, shoe polish, iodine, and clothes iron. The steps are mentioned below:
- Clean The Surface: The first step is to clean the dirt and grime from the surface of wood furniture by using a good quality furniture cleaner. Wipe the cleaner from wood veneer with the help of a rag and apply furniture wax on the wood surface. Rub the wax on the furniture completely with the help of cloth and remove small scratches from the furniture surface.
- Dye To Match Color: Now the next step is to dye the scratch to match with the color of veneer. Different chemicals need to be prepared for different veneer colors. To match with the color of mahogany veneer new iodine is used, for dying the scratch of walnut veneer solution of denatured alcohol and iodine is used.
- Wax Stick: Now fill the scratches on the wood veneer surface by using wax sticks. Polish the wax on the veneer surface. When the scratch fills completely take a paintbrush and add grain lines.
- Try A Commercial Scratch Repair Liquid: When the furniture is cleaned completely pour scratch repair on the damaged area. Take a putty knife and remove extra scratch filler from the wood surface and smooth the area. Then rub wax on the entire surface of the wood with a rag.
- Apply Heat: If in some cases scratches are difficult to remove from the wood surface then the customer can use the clothes iron to remove scratches. The cloth is kept on the scratched area and heat is applied on to the scratched area with a clothes iron that will slightly raise the scratched surface.