Two Easy Methods & Items Required To Remove Grout From Tile
The Portland cement is the major component that is found in the grout. It takes a few days or a few weeks to get hardened completely. Once it gets cured the pre-existing grout could become very hard to clean it within the surface of the walls and the tile floor as well. The users are advised not to use the chisel or any other metal tool to remove the grout as it might result in damaging the tiles. However, the users can use the soaking and the scraping process to remove the grout. The users can easily remove the grout from tiles at home by gathering the below-mentioned materials and then following the below-defined step by steps methods:
- Water, Cloth, Bucket
- Wooden Stick, Nylon Scrubber
- Sandpaper, Towel, Paint Stick
- Granulated Sugar
Method I: Using The Water And Wood
- Use The Clean Water: Start by pouring the clean water directly over the surface of the tile. The water will work as the lubricant and will help in preventing the scratches on the surface of the tiles when the users work.
- Scrape Off Lumps: Then the users need to scrape off the large-sized clumps or the grout layers by using the hardwood piece like the oak and that should be near about 3/8 inch thick and should also have the square-trimmed edge. The users are advised not to use the scraping tools that are made up of the metal like the putty knives as that can strongly destroy the tile glaze.
- Clean Of The Surface: They need to apply the light pressure while detaching the large-sized grout lumps and then clean off the tile surface by using the clean water.
- Use The Nylon Pad: The users then need to dampen the remaining grout pieces and then scrub it down by using the nylon pad. While the users keep on scouring, they are advised to keep on dampening the pad with the water.
- Dry Off The Tiles: Then rinse off the tile surface by using the water and then dry it off by using the dry towel. If in case the users still find out that the grout lumps have not been removed completely then they need to continue the scouring process.
- Use The Wood Stick: Finally use the fine-grit sandpaper so as to round the wood piece corner till it looks like the wood chisel. Then apply the water over the surface of the tile and then pull and push the wood stick in between the tiles so as to smoothen up the lines of the grout.
Method II: Using The Sugar And Water
- Mix The Sugar And Water: Start by mixing up the fine coarse sugar with hot water. Keep on stirring the water till the sugar gets completely dissolved into it.
- Apply The Solution: Then apply the sugar solution directly over the lumps of the grout or the users can also apply the solution by using the sponge. Then allow the sugar solution to soak within the grout for near about 2 hours. This will allow the sugar solution to loosen up the bond of the grout over the surface of the tile.
- Scrape Off The Lumps: Then the users need to scrape off the large grout lumps by using the paint stick made up of the wood. Then re-apply the sugar solution to the leftover grout lumps and then scrub it down by using the nylon scrubber.
- Rinse The Sugar Solution: The users are advised to keep the grout lumps dampen with the sugar solution while they are working. Then rinse down the tile with the clean water so as to get rid of the sugar solution residue. Then wipe down the tile surface with the dry towel so as to be assured that all the lumps of the grout have been detached completely. If in case the users still find out some grout lumps then they need to keep on scrubbing it with the sugar solution respectively.