Step By Step Guide And Items Required To Paint Bamboo Furniture
The furnishing items that are crafted from the bamboo material can easily offer the home with the most exotic look and it is very cheap that can be purchased by anyone. The bamboo furnishing items always come raw that requires the painting process as well. The bamboo furnishing items are having the smooth surface by which the paint does not get adhered to it easily and that is why the users need to roughen the surface before applying the paint. The users can easily paint the bamboo furniture at home by gathering the below-mentioned items and then following the below-defined steps:
- Screwdriver, Sandpaper & Brush
- Vacuum, Microfiber Cloth & Dropcloth
- Safety Glasses, Face Mask & Oil Spray Primer
- Enamel Spray Paint
Step I- Clean And Sand The Surface
- Detach The Cushions: Start by detaching the cushions and the metal hardware within the surface of the bamboo furniture item. The users need to find out the screws that hold up the cushions in one place. They need to use the pliers and the screwdriver to detach the screws and then place them aside. They also need to place the cushions in the area where they won't get stained.
- Sand The Bamboo Surface:Then they need to sand down the entire surface of the bamboo furniture by using the high grit sandpaper. They are advised to apply the gentle pressure while rubbing the sandpaper as applying the force while the sanding process can easily damage the bamboo surface. The users are advised to sand down the bamboo surface in the even motion so that the color will also look consistent. The users need to forbid using the electric sander as it can easily break off the bamboo furniture.
- Wipe The Bamboo Surface: Then wipe down the sanding dust within the surface of the bamboo furniture by using the soft-bristled brush. If there are any areas where the brush cannot reach then the users need to use the vacuum cleaner with the affixed brush. Then they need to clean off the bamboo surface by using the wet soft cloth and then let the bamboo surface get dried off completely.
Step II- Apply The Primer
- Lay The Drop Cloth: Start by laying the plastic tarp or the drop cloth beneath the bamboo furniture. The users are advised to apply the primer in the open area. They also need to wear hand gloves, respiratory masks, and safety glasses as well so as to prevent themselves from getting affected by the harsh fumes.
- Apply The Primer: Then they need to shake off the oil-based spray primer perfectly and then hold it near about 15cm away from the surface of the bamboo furniture. The users are advised to shake off the can so that it is mixed properly and then apply the primer in the back and the forth motion. The users are advised not to apply enough primer in any particular area. Then allow the primer to get dried off completely for almost 1 hour.
- Use The Sandpaper: Once the primer is dried off completely then they need to sand down the bamboo surface by using the sandpaper. They need to apply the light pressure while rubbing the sandpaper and they also need to rub the sandpaper in the round motions.
- Wipe Down The Surface: Finally wipe down the surface of the bamboo surface by using the wet soft cloth. The users need to rub the cloth in the slow-motion and can also use the vacuum or the brush as well.
Step III- Apply The Paint
- Choose The Paint: Start by choosing the enamel based spray paint for the bamboo furnishing item and the users need to choose the color that will match with the other furnishing pieces that are present at home.
- Apply The Paint: Then the users need to shake the paint can and then keep it near about 15cm from the furniture item. The users then need to unbind the can cap and then shake it for almost 20 minutes. Then apply the paint coat over the entire surface of the bamboo furniture in the back and the forth motion. Then let the bamboo to get dried off completely for almost half an hour.
- Add One More Paint Coat: The users need to apply extra coats of the paint if in case the furniture items are still not having the even finish. Then they need to spray another thin layer of the paint and then let the paint get dried off completely.
- Re-affix The Cushions: Once the paint is dried off completely then the users need to re-affix the cushions and the metal hardware by using the pre-existing screws. Then use the hammer or the screwdriver to re-affix the screws respectively.