Easy Steps & Items Needed To Paint A Bookshelf To Look Vintage
The users can easily paint their bookshelf to look vintage by following the below-mentioned steps after collecting the certain items required for the procedure:
- Rags & Foam Roller
- Sandpaper & Paintbrush
- Dark Tone Latex Paint
- Steel Wool
- Light Toned Latex Paint
- White Wax Candle
- Clean The users need to start by cleaning all the dust and the debris from the surface of the bookshelf by using the damp rag and then make the surface dry by using the clean dry rag. They also need to detach all the shelves of the bookshelf in case they are having the portable shelving.
- Sandpaper: Once the surface of the bookshelf is cleaned the users then need to use the fine-grit sandpaper and rub it over the entire surface of the bookshelf. The users need to sand down the bookshelf so as to dull the pre-existing wood finish but they need to keep the surface smooth. Then they need to use the damp cloth to clean up all the sanding dust from the surface of the bookshelf.
- Soak: Then the users need to soak the paintbrush directly to the dark-toned latex paint and they need to use the angled paintbrush while painting. Then let the paint get dried off completely for about one whole day.
- Sand Again: Once the paint is dried completely then the users need to use the sandpaper again and rub it gently over the painted surface of the bookshelf. The sanding process will help the last paint coat to get adhered smoothly with the surface.
- Rub: Then the users need to rub the white candle over all the corners of the bookshelf so as to create the aesthetics of the normal wear and tear as well. Then they need to clean up the unneeded wax by using the clean paintbrush respectively.
- Apply: Then they need to apply the lightly-toned latex paint over the entire surface of the bookshelf and paint all the corners of the bookshelf by using the foam roller and let the first coat of the paint to get dried off completely before applying two more coats of the latex paint respectively.
- Re-Attach: Once the paint is dried completely the users then need to re-attach all the shelves to their original places and then use the steel wool and rub it gently over the waxes area of the bookshelf and the paint chips from the surface of the waxed area so as to reveal the dark-toned latex paint below it and keep on the sanding process till the users won't achieve their desired distressing level.