Easy Steps To Make/Sew A Slipcover For A Wingback Chair
In order to make or sew a slipcover for a wingback chair, the user needs to follow certain steps mentioned below:
- Cushion: The first step is to take the chair cushion out.
- Measure: The next step is to measure the area of the chair to get an idea of the fabric that will be used. The best way to measure the fabric is from the back of the chair, that is starting at the floor, and measure all the way up and over the chair, and also measure across the part where the cushion rests and also down front of the chair to floor.
- Add: The user needs to add 6 inches to the measurements that allow the room for a hem at the front and back of the slipcover and will also help in case of the sewing mistake. In order to measure the width of the chair, do it from one wing to the other and all the way down to the floor.
- Drape: Now the user needs to drape the fabric for the main section of the slipcover over the wingback chair. Once the chair is covered then pin it to the chair. Now the user needs to mark the edges of the fabric as well as to the hemline also, after that turn over the bottom of the fabric and start to stitch the hem.
- Wings: Once the above step is completed the next step is to go for the wings, cut the fabric for the wings, the user needs to cut 4 pieces two for either side. In order to sew the sides carefully lay one piece, at the top of another piece, and sew but here the user needs to leave the back open. Flip the fabric right side out repeat the process for the other wing also.
- Attach: The next step is to attach the wing covers to the main section of cover. Here the user can sew these pieces together, or can fasten them with a zipper or even with buttons.
- Replace: Replace the cushions before using the slipcover, in case of the extra fabric tuck it between wings and around the cushion.