In order to install the tongue and groove ceiling by yourself, then first you need to measure the ceiling area to purchase the supply quantities needed which are required for this process, Measuring the width and length of your ceiling is necessary to ensure that you get the proper size of the board for your tongue & groove wooden ceiling. Once done, now you need to purchase & Stain All of your wooden ceiling planks that you intend to use for your wood ceiling & then remove any crown molding or trim around your wooden ceiling perimeter & then you have to remove light fixtures, ceiling fans, and also your ceiling Art. Once done locate the ceiling joists & then lay the first perimeter line of the furring strips, finally, you now need to attach the furring strips to the ceiling joists.
Steps To Install Ceiling By YourselfAfter reading the overview of this article now, you need to follow all these given steps to install the tongue & groove ceiling by yourself:
- Affix: Firstly, measure first board and cut it as close as possible to the width of your ceiling and then install it so it is 1/4 inch from the edge of the outer wall you chose according to your installation guide. It should rest over the periphery board of your furring strips & overlap all of the orthogonal furring strips. Now, you need to secure this first plank to the strips so that the tongue faces your room & the first groove faces your wall. Put staples or nails into the furring strips through with the tongue of the plank at a 45-degree angle. Next, secure your first plank at each furring strips down its whole length, then driver your staples or nails in your planks so that their top is below the surface of your tongue & groove ceiling plank.
- Attach: If your wooden room ceiling is very wide then you have to attach more planks to the end of the first plank of your ceiling, the perimeter strip & furring strips. Nail your plank energetically to the furring strips through the tongue with staples or nails at a 45-degree angle.
- Affix The Second Row: Next, you need to cut your planks for the 2nd rows, ensuring that no joints conflict in sequence with the previous row of your installed planks. Slip the groove of the 2nd planks over the tongue of the 1st one. Now, after doing the previous step, you can nail the planks through with the tongue into the furring strips at 45-degree angles to the tongue.
- Mark And Cut Holes: Once you reach the location of your wooden room ceiling lights and fans marked on your ceiling then use your jigsaw to cut holes in the tongue & groove planks to allow passage of wires through with the ceiling & for exquisite fasteners to be affixed to your wooden ceiling. It may be unavoidable to cut an arc through with one plank & an analogous arc through the next in the series.
- Continue Installing: Now continue the installing process the tongue and groove wooden ceiling planks. Use a ratchet clamp every ten rows to abbreviate your planks more adequately against each other. That is not as imperative as on a tongue & groove floor, because the wooden ceiling will not bear any perceptible weight. Finally, place the lip of your ratchet clamp in the groove of your first plank, draw the strap to the edge of the newest plank & tighten the ratchet. Release the ratchet clamp as you tighten each set of your ten planks.