Step By Step Instructions Of Installing A Marine Carpet
Installing a marine carpet is not a difficult task provided you follow the right technique & use the right tools. At the time of purchasing a carpet for the boat, you need to make sure that you are buying a high quality marine grade. The marine grade carpet that you buy should have all the features including fading, mildew, rot, stain and UV resistance. Now, if you want to install a marine carpet, you first of all need to collect certain items that are required for the process & then go through the simple step by step instructions carefully & achieve the desired result of your work:
- Marine Carpet
- Marine Grade Adhesive
- Tape Measure & Scraper
- Utility Or Carpet Knife
- Mineral Spirits/Acetone
- Small Clamps Or Weights
- Trowel & Rags
- Roller Or Stiff Broom
Step By Step Instructions
- Remove Deck & Old Carpet: First of all, you need to get rid of the deck pieces as well as old carpet from the boat. After removing the old carpet, then clean off any remaining glue residue with the help of a scraper, mineral spirits and sand paper in case of heavy areas. Clean as well as dry all the portions of a boat to be carpeted. Also, examine the deck and areas underneath for water damage or hidden structural issues.
- Cut Carpet To Size: Now, lay out the plywood pieces underneath the rolled-out carpet. Draw a chalk line at least 3-4 inches on the outermost parts or boundary of the wood. With utmost care, cut the pieces of carpet with the help of some share scissors.
- Apply Carpet Glue: The next step is to apply marine carpet as well as outdoor glue like boat by going through the instructions rigorously, with the help of trowel, making sure an even and consistent spread. If in case curing is required before attaching the carpet, then give it an ample amount of time to fully cure.
- Straighten The Carpet: Straighten the carpet through the deck in such a manner as to achieve a desired result during the gluing stage. This as result will make sure that there are no "wrinkles" left once completed.
- Secure Carpet To The Back Of The Deck: With the help of a heavy-duty staples, you need to attach the coincident and overlaying carpet to the back of the deck. However, you need to keep in mind that the staple length should be less than the deck width itself. Finally, adjust the finished deck back onto boat and attach with the help of screws. Now, you are ready with the brand new marine carpet.