Proper Procedure Of Installing Floating Shelves Without Brackets
Shelves without brackets are known as floating or the bracketless shelves, they have a seamless as well as the clean appearance, it seems like it is floating on the wall without any support. Hanging the floating or the bracketless shelves may seem tricky, but the whole process is simple and easy. The proper step by step procedure for installing floating shelves without brackets is mentioned below:
Step 1: Tools And Materials
When installing a floating shelf without brackets the user will need a stud finder, measuring tape, level, drill, a screwdriver as well as a pencil, and the materials that will help to provide hidden support for the shelves, for example, ledges, dowels, pins or the hidden brackets. Use the screws that must be at least 3 inches long for installing the supports, so as to make sure that the screws reach as well as grip the stud behind the wall properly.
Step 2: Preparation
After the above step is done then plan the location of each floating shelf before starting the process of installing wall anchors as well as plugs. Note down the measurements of the shelves and also how they will be placed. With the help of a stud finder mark the location of the wall studs using a pencil, after that position a level on the wall, and also use it to mark the straight guidelines for each shelf.
Step 3: Supports And Installation
- For the simplest way, simply use a floating shelf kit for installing the floating shelves without brackets, these kinds of kits contain all the necessary hardware for hanging the shelves. Floating shelf kits typically have the hidden brackets for support.
- The metal brackets are simply sunk in the wall at each of the studs, and the section which will protrude out from the wall fits in the shelf itself. It is advisable to use a kit that is labeled to provide support to more than the weight of the items that are going to be placed on it.
- The user can also mount up the shelves with the help of support pins or ledges. A support pin will function in the same way as the invisible bracket will work in a floating shelf kit. It looks like a long rod having a flanged end and fits on the shelf right from behind and the flanged end is secured to the wall studs.
- A ledge bracket is an angled piece of the metal that is secured in a groove that is on the back of the shelf. This will help to provide strong support all the way across the board, rather than at the separate points and the portion of the ledge, which will stick out of the shelf, is installed to the wall studs.
Step 4: Anchors
- The right wall anchor is difficult for the proper installation of the floating shelves. They are actually subjected to the gravity, that pulls down and also the weight of objects, which pulls outward. Each kind of anchor is actually rated for the specific amount of weight.
- A good rule is to make sure that the anchors will hold at least a quarter of the stated load. This way the user can be sure that the shelves will not fall. A medium to the heavy hollow wall anchor will work well for the most shelving applications. The toggle bolts are the best when hanging the heavier shelving materials or the shelves that are going to hold the heavier items.