Two Easy Ways & Items Needed To Hem Curtains
Usually, the curtains come up in various size dimensions, and color finishes as well. At certain times it happens that the curtains that the users like are not up to their required size and it is no possible to make the short sized curtains into the longer one but it is quite possible to transform the long sized curtains into the shorter ones. The users can easily hem their curtains at home by gathering below mentioned items & following the below-defined ways:
- Fabric, Measuring Tape, Scissors
- Iron, Needle, Thread
- Sewing Machine
Way I: Hemming The Base
- Have Much Fabric: The users need to be assured that they are having much fabric in order to get the hem of the double fold. Usually, the hems of the curtains are doubled twice at its base and that is why the users require to have the double fabric to attain the hem. This also indicates that the users have to trim their curtains a bit longer than they actually want their curtains to be. In short terms, it can also be defined as long the curtains, the wide the hem will be.
- Extend The Curtains: Then extend the curtain towards its wrong face upwards over the flat surface. If desired the users can also spread their curtains on the surface of the floor. If in case the users are having the large-sized table and the small-sized curtain then they can easily work on the surface of the table.
- Fold Up The Base: Now fold up the base upwards and then press it down flat by using the iron. The users require to use the pins so as to hold up the curtain fabric in its place while ironing it and once the users have completed the ironing then they need to detach those pins.
- Fold Up The Hem: Next the users require to fold up their hem and then press it again with the iron so as to make it flat. The users need to be assured that the users are folding the hem as per the same amount that they used at the last time. Then use the sewing pins so as to hold up the hem in its place and then press it again with the iron.
- Seperate The Lining: The users are advised to separate the lining and the hem as the lining is already hemmed. Usually, the lining is inserted within the hem sides and not within the base. The users require to use the hem tape so as to fuse down the hem with the curtain and to do so they need to trim the hem tape piece a bit small than the curtain width. Then place it in the inner area of hem in between the curtain back and the hem that is folded. Then line up the tape with the folded hem top. Then iron down the folded hem for almost ten seconds.
- Use The Sewing Machine: If desired the user can also use the sewing machine so as to make the sew. The users are advised to use the color that will easily match up with the color of the curtain as much close as they can.
Way II: Hemming The Sides
- Have The Enough Fabric: The users need to be assured that they are having enough fabric so as to get the double folded hem. Usually, the regular curtains are having the width of the one by half inch hem on its sides, and once the hem is folded the new width will be six inches on the sides.
- Fold The Curtain: Then the users need to fold up the curtain side by the one and half inches and one of the easiest ways to do is to simply mark off the one and half inches at the base and top of the curtain and fold it by using the sewing pins.
- Fold The Hem: Now fold up the hem in the inner direction twice by the one and a half inch and the users need to be assured that they are pressing down the hem by using the iron and if required they can again use the sewing pins.
- Insert The Sides: Then the users need to insert the lining sides within the hem if required. If in case the curtain is having the lining then they need to trim down the lining as per the curtain width and then insert the corners within the hem.
- Use The Hem Tape: The users can also use the hem tap so as to fuse down the hem with the curtain. They need to trim the hem tape piece a bit smaller than the curtain length. Then drift it into the hem and then line up the tape edges with the hem edges and then press them down by using the iron.
- Use The Machine: The users can also use the sewing machine so as to sew the hem and they need to sew the hem edges as much as they can. The users are advised to be sure that they are using the color that will match up with the color of the curtain.