Step By Step Process Of Aligning Of The Door
A misaligned door creates a lot of problems like the gaps that are uneven from along the edges as well as also affects closing and the latching. In certain cases, a normal fix such as tightening the hinges is enough. While as in other cases, the misaligned door will need a more difficult repair such as shimming the hinges. Below the user can go through the step by step process of aligning the door or in other words steps to fix the misaligning issue:
- First of all, the users need to check the spot where it sticks or where the door will not line up correctly, which can be done simply by opening and closing the misaligned door. Determine the gaps of the door from all around the edges once it is in a closed position. On the door's top edge, position a level when it is in the open position to check whether it hangs at the level or not.
- Determine the latch on the door where it hits the plate of the strike that is on the frame. Cover the plate of the strike with the help of masking tape as well as smear the lipstick at the latch. While closing the door, the lipstick will get transferred to expose if the strike plate is hitting with latch.
- Tight all the screws that are on the hinge plate which holds the door with the frame. Tight the top of the hinge for making the latch to hit higher on the plate, or at the bottom of the hinge in order to hit it at the lower portion.
- On either the top or at the bottom, place the shims of the cardboard in-between the hinges and frame, it totally depends on whether the user needs to lower or raise the door according to the need. Cut out a rectangle from thin cardboard, like as the notebook's back cover, so it will be slightly larger as compared with the hinge at the spot it touches with the frame.
- Now, from the frame side, the user needs to carefully unscrew all the hinges that hold the door. Hold up the cardboard with the frame as well as swing back the hinge to place. Cut from all around the hinge, with the help of a utility knife, so it will match the hinge properly. Screw back the hinge to the place keeping the cardboard in-between the frame and the hinge.
- If incase the frame of the door is fully warped, that time the only solution is to replace it, in this kind of situation only the hinge adjustments will not make a difference or do the job. Buy a new correct size door frame. Take out the door from the frame, then tear out the old frame, then simply nail-in the new one. In order to square out the new frame before it can be reattached with the door, use the shims.