Two Easy Ways Of Cutting Wire Shelving
Installing the wire shelves can be the best way to fully make the use of the closet, pantry, and garage for storing up the items. Trimming down the wire shelving appears to be very challenging but in reality, it is very simple if the users use the bolt cutters or the hacksaw. The users can easily trim the wire shelving at home by following the below-mentioned ways:
Way I: Using The Bolt Cutters
- Gather Up All The Materials: Start by gathering up the tools and the materials that are required while performing this procedure like a tape measure, permanent marker, bolt cutters, mill file, and safety glasses as well.
- Purchase The Cutter: The users need to purchase or rent the bolt cutters that are having near about twelve inches handles. The bolt cutters are one of the best and the easiest tools to accomplish this task. The bolt cutters that are having the 12 inches long handle should have the good trimming power so as to easily trim within the regular wire shelving that is sold at the home stores. If in case the users are installing the heavy wire shelves then they need to choose the cutter with the long handles. Before starting the trimming procedure the users are advised to wear the safety glasses so as to protect up their eys from the sharp metal pieces.
- Calculate The Measurements: Then the users need to calculate the measurements and then mark down the area for their cuts but they are advised to deduct the measurements slightly. They need to use the measuring tape so as to find out the shelving dimensions and then minimize the one inch from the overall length. Minimizing the little amount from total length can make it very easy to fit up the shelves within the edge brackets that eventually hold up the shelves in one place. They need to shift all their calculations to the wire shelving pieces that are supposed to get trimmed and then marked down the trimmed lines by using the marker.
- Use The Clamps: After that, the users require to pinch their shelf in between their ankles so as to strongly hold it. If required the users can also clamp down the shelving portion on their work table by using the towel below and the soft clamps so as to avoid damaging the finish.
- Use The Plastic Caps: The users also need to align the cutter jaw and then make their first trim. They need to go along the marked lines and they are advised to securely hold the handles of the cutter. They need to make more trim as per the requirement of their project. They are advised to use the plastic caps to their trims. Usually, the cutters can make the tidy cuts, and mostly the users won't get any sharp corners or the burrs that they have to deal with. If in case the users find any rough edges they need to smoothen them by running the metal mill in the back and in the forth motion.
Way II: Using The Hacksaw
- Gather The Materials And Tools: Start by collecting up the tools and the materials that are required while performing this procedure like a tape measure, permanent marker, towel, soft clamps, standard hacksaw, mini hacksaw, mill file, and safety glasses and gloves as well.
- Claculate The Measurements: After that, calculate the measurements accurately and then minimize a slight amount from the total length and then mark down the trimmed lines. The users need to use the measuring tape so as to get the right size dimensions for their shelving and then deduct the width of the shelves with one inch. Then transfer all the calculations on the wire shelving by using the permanent marker so that they are visible during the trimming process.
- Place The Wire Shelf: The users need to place the wire shelf over the workbench surface by placing the towel beneath it as most of the wire shelves are having the white finish that can be scratched easily and that is why it is advised to use the towel so as to make the cushion in between the surface of the workbench and the wire.
- Secure The Shelves: Fasten up the shelves with the workbench by using the soft clamps as it is very important that the shelves should remain in one position while the trimming process. Then trim down the wire shelves by holding the handle of the hacksaw in one hand and then place the other hand on the shelf top. Before starting the trimming process the users are advised to wear the safety glasses so as to avoid damaging the eyes.
- Use The Mini Hacksaw: In case of the tight spaces the users are advised to use the small-sized hacksaw as it is quite difficult to trim the tight spaces with the regular hacksaw. Then the users need to file up the trimmed ends by using the cap or they can easily use the metal mill to smoothen all the rough edges. The users can easily purchase the mill at the nearby hardware store. They need to run down the mill in the back and in the forth motion.