Proper Procedure Of Cleaning A Polyurethane Couch
Couches or sofas are composed of numerous materials and polyurethane foam is one among them. The foam is generally not affected during the cleaning process, but if in case it is not cleaned properly then it can cause staining on fabrics & if you use the wrong technique. But before starting the cleaning process, make sure to go through the furniture tag, as couches with "X" tag can only be vacuumed, while couches with an "S" need solvents for spot-cleaning only. Couches with "W" or "SW" can be cleaned at home. You need to avail the services of the professional for the couches that require solvents.
- First of all, you need to vacuum the couch as well as its cushions at least once a week. Take the help of a crevice tool and upholstery attachment, if available, as they can make the vacuuming easier & faster. Then revolve the cushions over before replacing them in a different arrangement in order to make sure that they wear equally. With the help of a stiff-bristled brush, you can also get rid of loose dirt and debris.
- Now, you need to select a cleaning solution according to the cleaning code that is labeled on the couch. For couches having a "W" or "SW" label, with the help of a water-based cleaning agent, first spot clean the stains & then follow the labeled instructions. On the other hand, combine a gallon of distilled water with 2 teaspoons of mild detergent in a bucket or bowl in order to make your own cleaning solution.
- After that, make sure that you clean the stain affected areas first. Do not wipe the stain affected area firmly, rather, mop up the cleaning agent on the surface with the help of a soft cloth until the stain totally vanishes. Cleanse with a piece of cloth rinsed in distilled water.
- Then sprinkle a water-based foam upholstery cleaner over couches having "W" or "SW" label. Rub the foam into the upholstered material with the help of a stiff-bristled brush. Then give it some time to get fully dry. Drying times may vary that totally depends on the temperature as well as the humidity, but it will not take more than 24 hours to completely dry.
- Finally, vacuum clean the couch in order to get rid of the foam and dirt. With the help of foam upholstery cleaners, you can remove the dirt from the couch as the foam dries. Vacuum clean the couch from top to bottom to prevent crushing in the material after cleaning.