Two Easy Ways Of Cleaning Brass Hinges
It is quite necessary to keep the brass hinges clean and shiny as well but within some period of time, the brass hinges may acquire the tarnish as well as the grime stains. One of the common ways of cleaning up the brass hinges is by scrubbing them with water and soap. If the user still finds some stains then they are advised to use the commercial or the household cleaning ingredients. The users can easily clean up their brass hinges at home by following the below-mentioned ways:
Way I: Cleaning Up The Brass Plate
- Determine The Hinge Type: Start by determining if the users are having the brass-plated hinges. Usually, the brass hinges are of two types, one is the solid hinges and the other one is made up of the zinc, steel, or iron. The users need to place the magnet near the brass hinge and if the brass hinges get stuck to the magnet then they need to know then it is not crafted from the solid brass material.
- Make A Solution: Then the users need to wipe down their brass hinge by using the soap water. Mix up the warm water with the liquid soap in the bowl and then stir on the solution so that both the ingredients are mixed properly. Then soak up the cloth in this solution and then rub it all over the surface of the hinges. The users can also use the toothbrush to apply the soap solution to the hard reached areas of the hinges.
- Use The Ammonia: If in case the users are having the unlacquered brass hinges then they need to wipe it down by using the ammonia. They need to soak up the toothbrush in the ammonia then rub it over the entire surface of the brass hinges. Then rinse down the brass hinges by using the warm water and make them dry by using the soft cloth.
Way II: Cleaning The Solid Brass Hinges
- Do The Spot Testing: Start by using the commercial cleaner as there are numerous types of commercial cleaners available in the market that can be used to clean up the brass hinges. Before applying the commercial cleaner to the entire surface of the brass hinges the users are advised to do the spot testing and after the spot testing if the brass plate starts to flake off then they are advised to discontinue the use of this product. Then they are advised to try another product instead of using this item.
- Use The Tomato-based Item: Then they need to use the tomato-based item so as to clean off the brass hinges. Apply the ketchup layer or the tomato sauce over the brass hinge by using the hand cloth or the paper towel as well. Then let the tomato product to rest over the surface of the brass hinge for near about one hour. Then soak up the cloth in the hot soap solution and then scrub it over the surface of the brass hinge so as to clean up the brass hinge.
- Use The Vinegar Paste: The users need to mix the equal amount of the salt, flour, and vinegar in the small bowl. Stir the ingredients so as to make the fine paste and then apply this paste over the entire surface of the brass hinges and then let the paste sit over the hinge surface for almost one hour. Then rinse the hinge by using the hot water and then dry off the hinge by using the dry cloth.
- Use The Lemon: Cut the lemon in two equal halves and then detach the seeds with the salt and rub-down the lemon face over the entire surface of the brass hinge. Then wipe down the brass hinge by using the clean cloth.
- Use The Tartar Cream: Mix the tartar cream and the lemon juice and then rub this paste over the surface of the brass hinge by using the toothbrush. Then let the paste sit over the hinge for near about half an hour and then rinse off the paste by using the warm water.