Easy Step By Step Cleaning Process Of A Stained Lampshade
Dust, dirt as well as the stains can make the lampshades look bad. When the lampshade gets very dirty or is affected by different types of stain, then wash it in a soapy bath, then leave it for air dry. Easy step by step process of cleaning a stained lampshade is mentioned below:
- Unplug The Lamp: The first step is to unplug the lamp from the wall and then take off the shade. Turn off the power and then pull out the plug from the socket. To make it easier to take off the shade, remove the light bulb. Then, simply unscrew or lift the shade, this depends on the style of the lamp. It is very important to disconnect the power, as this prevents the risk of electric shock.
- Cleaning Solution: To make a cleaning solution fill a tub with the warm water and then add 1 tsp of laundry detergent. Add enough water to the tub or in the sink so that the entire lampshade is covered with water. Then, measure out 1 tsp of laundry detergent and mix it well into the sink. Use the hand to swish the detergent in the water until suds and bubbles are formed. If in case the water doesn’t form any bubbles then add a few extra drops of laundry detergent. If the user doesn’t have laundry detergent, then they can use a mild dish detergent.
- White Vinegar Into The Water: If the lamp is affected by grease then add 1 cup of white vinegar into the water. Measure out the vinegar and then put it into the tub or sink. Then, again use the hand to mix it well into the water. This will help a lot to fight the grease stains on the lamp. It is important to use white vinegar only for cleaning the lampshades. Other types of vinegar can damage the lampshade.
- Submerge The Lampshade: In this step, submerge the shade in the solution and leave it to soak for 10 minutes. Carefully, push the lampshade down into the solution. Then, keep a timer for 10 minutes so that the soapy water will have enough time to clean the lampshade. While the lampshade soaks, in the meantime shift it around in the water as this will help to release dirt as well as dust.
- Lightly Rub The Shade: Lightly hold the lampshade, with the frame if it has one. Then, slowly move it around in the soapy water in a swishing motion. This will help a lot to get the shade as clean as possible. If it is very dirty then wipe the lampshade from top to bottom with the help of a microfiber cloth.
- Rinse: Using the warm running water rinse the shade. Hold the lampshade under the stream of warm water. Slowly rotate the lampshade under the water so that the remaining soap residue is wiped off. Keep the rinsing until the water runs clear free from soap. Leave the lampshade to air dry on the clean towel for at least 24 hours.