Step By Step Directions Of Cleaning A Brass Chandelier
A brass chandelier is known for its touch of elegance while also giving light. With the span of time, it will begin to tarnish, which in turn, means it will lose the luster. This is because of the oxidation of the zinc and the copper. In order to maintain the beauty and the charm of the brass chandelier, you need to clean it on a regular basis. The step by step directions of cleaning a brass chandelier are mentioned below. Follow the steps carefully in order to get the desired result:
- Switch off the power supply to the chandelier from the electrical main box. Check the circuit simply by flipping the switch on and off. If in case the light turns on, then return to the electrical box until the correct circuit is located. After this now unscrew as well as lower the canopy which is the metal plate that actually covers the hole that is in the ceiling at the spot the chandelier is secured.
- The plastic twist caps which connect the wiring that is in-between the chandelier and the home needs to be removed. It is advisable don't touch the tips of the bare wire. Now one more time check the circuit simply by voltage tester. If in case the tester shows off a reading, then go to the main box and power off circuit. If there is no reading then separate the wires.
- The mounting bar which secures the chandelier with the electrical box needs to be removed. Carefully lower down the chandelier. If the size of the chandelier is large enough then get a helping hand. Remove the bulbs, use the plastic for covering the sockets as well as tape it down tight to protect the socket. Take the chandelier on a properly-ventilated space.
- Wipe down the chandelier using a rag and hot soapy water as this will help to remove all of the grime that may be on the surface. Rinse off the soapy water from the chandelier, and then thoroughly dry it. In the hot vinegar soak a soft cloth as well as dip this in the table salt. After that, rub the chandelier using the same cloth until the chandelier is properly clean. Continue the process until you get satisfied. Wash off the solution with the help of hot soapy water. Rinse-off the soap from the chandelier as well as dry it thoroughly.
- Take a lemon oil and then polish the brass until it shines. Wash-off the extra lemon oil from the chandelier using the soapy water and then dry it. Apply the clear lacquer that is UV-resistant to the brass & this is because it will help it prevent from getting tarnishing. Use 3 to 4 coats of the finish, as well as buff the brass with the help of the soft cloth in between each of the coats. Finally, reinstall the chandelier & use it again.