Step By Step Instructions Of Binding A Rug
Binding is generally regarded as one of the easiest and economical methods when it comes to finishing a carpet edge. Binding the edge of a rug involves enclosing a strip of fabric, which is usually made from either polyester or cotton, on every side of the edge of the carpet and sewing it in place. This is done with the help of a carpet-binding machine. Binding a carpet edge in this way are having various benefits including the reasonably low cost as well as the vast selection of binding materials available. You can select binding from a huge range of colors, which in turn means that effectively any color of carpet can be matched. By complementing the binding to the color of the carpet, the edge of the carpet will amalgamate properly. You can also go with a contrasting color in order to create an accent, however, the majority of the experts feel that the binding is so thin, nearly 1/4-inch, that the overall effect is a bit bizarre.
Things You Will Need
- Rug-Binding Fabric
- Hot Glue Gun And Hot Glue Sticks
Step By Step Instructions
- First of all, you need to purchase a binding fabric color that goes with or complements your remnant, which as a result gives a professional appearance on your wrapped edges.
- Now, calculate & compute the length of your rug or carpet and then trim a piece of binding fabric that will cover the rug. Add in your hot glue gun in order to heat up, while you keep on prepping.
- Next, put down your remnant on a piece of cardboard before cutting the edge with the help of a small knife, in order to get a clean working edge. If you have trouble trimming elegantly & precisely, then you can use a yardstick which will help you get a straight edge.
- After that, place the fabric alongside your rug. Draw a line of hot glue down half the rug binding fabric, concluding in the center. Bend the binding fabric over the rug and press in order to take hold of it in place, allowing it to go after 10 seconds so the glue can dry. Put in the top half of the binding tape just like this.
- Repeat the process on the second side while the glue dries. Again, trim the carpet in order to get a clean edge, and trim the binding tape to the right length. Align them up, before hot gluing one half of the binding strip at a time to your remnant. Accomplish the other two sides to complete binding your rug.