Easy Way To Apply Varnish To Wood
In order to apply varnish to wood, the user needs to follow the steps given below:
Step 1: Preparing The Wood
- Sand: The first step in preparing the area is to sand the surface with the 100-grit sandpaper for the unfinished pieces, in case of the stains use the 200 or 280 grit sandpaper, sand in the directions of the grains, continue the sanding until the piece becomes smooth.
- Clean: After the sanding is done, the next step is to clean the sanding dust, before applying the varnish surface should be clean because the varnish is prone to dust, hair, and other particles before it dries.
- Stir: Stir the varnish can carefully, but avoid shaking the can as shaking will bring bubbles in the solution.
- Thin The Varnish: Pour a small amount of the varnish in the measuring cup according to the surface area and add the paint thinner directly to the varnish and start stirring. The user can mix 9 parts of varnish with one part of thinner.
Step 2: Applying Varnish To Wood
- Apply The Varnish: Carefully start brushing the wood with the varnish and thinner mixture, the user just needs to dip the tip of the brush in the solution and apply in the directions of the grains, avoid back and forth direction.
- Tip Off: One of the important steps is tipping off while the varnish is still wet, the tipping off means to hold the brush at a right angle and work the surface, and lightly brush over the whole varnished surface with the tip. The tipping will help to prevent the bubbles and streaks.
- Second Coat: Apply the second coat once the first coat is dry.