Both particle and fiberboard are widely used for the construction of the many household pieces like shelves and other furniture items that are not used for holding much weight. The construction of the particleboard is done with the using of the heat and sawdust and on the other hand, the fiberboard or MDF is constructed with the wood fibers and is considered for a better option than the particleboard.
Pros And Cons Of Fiberboard And Particleboard
The pros and cons of the of both fiberboard and particleboard are mentioned as below
- In Expensive: The fiberboard is relatively less expensive than the other boards like plywood.
- Smooth: The fiberboard comes with the smooth surface and is knots free.
- Best For Painting: Since the MDF comes with the smooth surface it is ultimate for the painting job.
- Veneer Substrate: Due to its ultra-smooth surface it makes a superb veneer substrate.
- Consistent: The fiberboards have tremendous consistency and cut edges look smooth and are voids free. This also makes the cutting easy and fast.
- Upgraded Particle Board: The MDF is the upgraded version of the particleboard.
- Moisture: The Fiberboard gets damaged if exposed to the water and swell.
- Sealing: The Medium fiber board requires sealing from all ends in order to protect it from the water.
- Screws: The board is not able to hold the screws well.
- Staining: Not possible to stain fiberboards neither it has wood grain.
- Cost Effective: The particleboard is very cost-effective and budget-friendly option.
- Availability: The furniture made up of the particleboard is readily available in the market at best prices.
- Pre Laminated: The particle board furniture is pre-laminated at the time of manufacturing that adds both beauty and endurance as well.
- Lightweight: The particleboard is not heavy is a very light weighted product that is very easy to move from one place to another.
- Not Durable: The boards are not strong and are prone to get damaged easily.
- Heavy Loads: Not meant to tolerate heavy loads because of its low strength.
- Not Eco-friendly: The boards, not the eco-friendly option like the solid wood.