The cypress wood is also known as baldcypress wood and the scientific name of cypress is taxodium distichum. Size of cypress tree is 3-5 ft. (1-1.5 m) trunk diameter and 80-120 ft. (24-37 m) tall. Hardness score of cypress in janka is (2,270 N).
Advantages Of Cypress Wood
Here are advantages of cypress wood:
- Color: The color of cypress wood is light, yellowish brown and the sapwood is white which looks very attractive.
- Grain/Texture: It has Straight grain and medium texture to the coarse texture. Unfinished wood surfaces have a greasy feel.
- Rot Resistance And Durable: It is highly durable wood than the other wood and is resistance from rot and water.
- Workability: The user can easily use handsaw and other tools on cypress wood. Cypress wood has a good properties like gluing, finishing, nailing, and paint-holding .
- Pricing: It is cheap wood as compared to other wood like pine and oak wood.
- Uses: The cypress wood is mostly used in making of boatbuilding, exterior construction, docks, interior trim, and veneer.
disadvantages of cypress wood
Here are disadvantages of cypress wood:
- Toxic: The cypress wood is toxic and has respiratory irritation properties.
- Odor: The other con is that it has the sour odor which may be irritating for some of the users.