Thermofoil cabinets are manufactured by using the laminate substance; this laminate is integrated on the top surface of the particleboard. Thermofoil cabinets can be cleaned easily and these are tough to damage. Applying paint on Thermofoil cabinets is a difficult task.
Steps To Paint Thermofoil Cabinets
The users need to follow the below-mentioned steps for painting the Thermofoil cabinets:
Step 1: Prepping The Surface
- Clean The Cabinets: Firstly the users need to clean dirt, debris, grease, and oil residue from the cabinets. For cleaning ammonia-based cleaner can be used on the Thermofoil cabinets. After applying the cleaner leave the cabinet to dry.
- Sand The Cabinets: Before applying the paint on the cabinets, lightly sand the cabinet surface with the help of palm sander. The focus of users should be on the appearance of the cabinets rather than on removing the finish.
- Wipe The Sand Residue: Next step is to remove the sanding residue from the cabinet surface with the help of a wet rag.
Step 2: Primer And Paint
- Apply Primer: Now select a good quality primer that makes a bond with the Thermofoil cabinet and sticks on it. Primer can be applied on the cabinet surface with the help of a foam roller.
- Apply Paint: Next step is to choose a durable paint that does not chip or scratch the cabinet surface like enamel paint. Apply thin layers of paint on the cabinet with the help of a foam roller.
- Lightly Sand And Dry: Leave the first coat of paint to dry and then use fine-grit sandpaper and lightly sand the cabinet surface and apply another coat.
Step 3: Sealing The Cabinets
- Apply Sealant: When the cabinets dry completely the users can apply the coat of polyurethane on the cabinets for its protection. Polyurethane is available in various finishes like gloss, matte, and stain. The users can choose the finish according to their own taste and apply the polyurethane with the help of a quality brush.
- Allow The Cabinet To Dry: After applying the sealant, leave the cabinets to dry for about ten days.