Steps To Finish The Pine Floors
Pine is considered a beautiful softwood for flooring. These floors need to be finished by using varnish, stain, or oil. The steps are mentioned below to finish the pine floors:
Step 1: Cleaning And Sanding The Pine Floor
- Clean Dust From Floor: The first step is to clean the dirt and debris from the floor surface and corners by using a wet mop.
- Fill Holes & Let It Dry: The pine planks have many holes and the customer need to fill these holes with putty with the help of flat edge putty knife. Then wait for around 4 hours and let the putty dry completely.
- Sand & Clean The Floor: Now sand the pine floor surface to make it smooth and remove away scratches from the floor surface. Then take a wet rag and clean the floor surface by removing the sanding residue.
Step 2: Selecting A Finish
- Choose Color: If the customer does not like the color of pine floor then the customer can choose the stain that darkens the color of pine floors.
- Select Varnish: The varnish helps to retain the natural color of the floor and protects the floor from scratches and moisture.
Step 3: Applying The Finish
- Apply Stain Or Varnish & Allow It To Dry: Take some varnish or stain on the paint tray and start applying a heavy coat of varnish or stain on the pine floors with the help of a roller. Allow the varnish or stain to sit on the pine floor for about 15 minutes.
- Apply Second Coat & Clean The Floor: Now apply another light coat of varnish or stain on the pine floor surface and leave it for 15 minutes on the pine floor. Then take a clean rag and wipe the floor surface and make it dry. Then wait for 24 hours so that floor absorbs stain or Varnish completely.
- Buff & Clean The Floor: Take sandpaper and smoothly rub it on the pine flooring to make the surface smooth. Use wet mop or rag to clean the floor surface and wait until the floor dries.
- Apply Final Coat & Let It Dry: At last, apply a light layer of varnish or stain on the floor surface with the help of roller. Then wait for 15 minutes so that the floor becomes dry and then use a lint-free cloth to wipe the pine floor surface.