Advantages & Disadvantages Of Cork Flooring
Cork Flooring is a type of flooring that is manufactured from the bark of cork oak trees found in Tunisia, Portugal, and Spain. Due to the natural and renewable properties of cork, it has been used to construct flooring for centuries. Besides that, cork furniture comes with several advantages & disadvantages and they are mentioned below;
Some of the advantages of cork flooring are as follows;
- Durability: Cork flooring is impermeable to liquid & gas and also has resistance to abrasions & cracking. Besides that, indentations caused over cork flooring due to furniture and other objects will not be permanent due to its bounce back nature. The flooring can last for over forty years if it is properly cared & maintained.
- Comfortable: Cork Flooring gives cushion comfort to the underfoot when compressed over. Besides that, cork is an acoustic insulator and a natural thermal that makes the flooring quiet and warm naturally.
- Safety: Also, cork flooring is resistant to fire as high temperature can ignite or melt it. During & before combustion, cork flooring generates and releases less smoke and material compared to vinyl flooring.
- Healthy: Cork flooring doesn't affect indoor air quality by shedding microfibers. Besides that, the flooring is resistant to termites, mildew, and mold.
- Versatility: Cork flooring is available in a number of colors, sizes, and styles. Besides that, the flooring is available in planks as well as tiles. It has been recommended to use planks for creating a seamless look and use tiles to create a non-traditional look.
Some of the disadvantages of cork flooring are as follows;
- Permanent Indentation: Cork flooring can get permanent indentation if very heavy objects are placed over it such as heavy furniture & appliances. Due to the permanent indentation, the heavy objects will be hard to move during furniture rearrangement & cleaning.
- Scratches: Scratches are something that can show up instantly over the cork flooring. It has been recommended to trim the nails of pets to reduce the effect.
- Sunlight: If cork flooring is directly exposed to sunlight or the sunlight is allowed to beam down the material, it will cause discoloration in the flooring. The discoloration can be prevented by blocking the sunlight with blinds or curtains.
- Damage: The cork flooring is susceptible to damages due to its soft nature. The flooring can get damaged due to high heels, furniture legs, and sharp-edged objects. Besides that, small dirt parts can work like sandpaper grits and tear away the surface material.